Avalon Laboratories Inc.
St. John’s, NL
Avalon Laboratories is Newfoundland and Labrador’s only fully certified analytical lab. We provide food pathology and safety testing, water quality analysis, toxicology testing, as well as testing for the oil & gas industry. Avalon Laboratories Inc. is Newfoundland and Labrador owned, and our office is in St. John’s.
Our team members are passionate about growth, innovation, and collaboration. We constantly strive to improve and better ourselves so that we can better support our customers. If you have a growth mindset and you thrive under pressure, you are probably a great fit for our team!
We are currently seeking candidates for the role of Laboratory Technologist for our growing operation.
At Avalon Laboratories Inc, we offer:
• A competitive salary
• An enjoyable, diverse, and healthy working environment
• Health and dental program
The main responsibilities in this role include:
• Conducting laboratory testing following applicable test methods and supporting procedures as detailed in the ISO 17025 Management System as well as ensuring related quality and testing records are completed
• Following procedures and completing tasks that are delivered from supervisor(s) through oral and / or written instruction
• Ensuring all policies are adhered to, including confidentiality of testing and impartiality
• Consulting with Team Leads when any technical decisions need to be made related to application of existing knowledge to new situations
• Assisting Team Leads with reporting requirements (i.e., report generation and technical review)
• Ensuring customer requirements as noted on Chain of Custodies or other documentation provided by customer are verified prior to testing
• Ensuring laboratory equipment is maintained in good condition and completing related quality documentation. Reporting equipment requirements / issues to Team Lead(s)
• Monitoring inventory of laboratory supplies and assisting Team Lead(s) with inventory control
• Assisting more experienced Laboratory Technologists and Team Lead(s) with specific aspects of more complex tasks
• Liaising with Team Leads as required
• Where applicable, advising Team Lead(s) on improvements to efficiency of lab operations
• Prioritizing chargeable work (except where Team Leads dictate otherwise)
• Undertaking some or all of Laboratory Assistant duties based on seasonal requirements
• Following occupational health and safety regulations and ensuring appropriate safety procedures are implemented in the Laboratory
• General office procedures
• Completing administrative requirements (e.g., timesheets, reports of work carried out)
• Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
• Have completed a two- or three-year institute or college program or equivalent with courses in scientific principles
• Demonstrates initiative and carries out periodic tasks independently
• Experience with implementing and maintaining industry-standard quality systems including ISO ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and relevant quality practices
• Maintains an orderly, tidy, and organized working environment always
• Organizes and prioritizes oneself and plans based on daily assigned laboratory schedules
• Detailed knowledge of laboratory methods and equipment (specifically ICP-MS, IC, GC-MS experience)
• Knowledge in word processing software, specifically Microsoft Office
• Ability to learn specific, practical techniques and apply this knowledge to solve technical problems
• Time management skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, tight-deadline environment
How to Apply:
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for this competition is October 8, 2021.
Avalon Laboratories is committed to the practice of employment equity; and we encourage applications from qualified men, women, people of indigenous ancestry, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. At Avalon Laboratories, we value the background, experience, and talents of everyone. We strive to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of our communities.
We thank all applicants for your submission. We will be in contact with all those who applied within one week of the deadline.